The cold weather is here and holiday parties are happening every weekend. Cookies, candy, delectable finger foods and (HELLO!) alcoholic bevys ... it's SO easy to neglect workouts and slip into poor dieting habits this time of year! Here are a few tips to keep your diet on track in the midst of countless festivites...
1. Don't go to a party on an empty stomach. Party foul #1 is showing up with a ravenous appetite! You're almost guaranteed to stuff your face with all the wrong things. Eat a snack on your way (an apple or a rice cake with peanut butter) and you'll be less apt to go overboard!
2. Stand MORE than arms-length distance away from the munchies. It's a classic mistake to mingle near the candy dish or bowl of nuts because before you know it you've taken down the entire snack table. Make it a priority to keep your conversations away from the food.
3. Use a smaller plate. Try filling a salad or dessert plate instead of the larger plate options. This way, you can take a little bit of everything and keep it all in moderation!
4. Don't skimp on your workouts. Squeeze in 20 minutes before the party or on your lunch break at work and you'll feel better about getting into that holiday dress. You can sign up for a gym class to keep you motivated or try a quick circuit workout! (You can see my short circuit workout here)
5. Fill up on salad, broth soup or veggies first before other foods. Since most holiday parties tend to offer buffet-style, it's great to grab your healthy foods first. Fill your stomach up on the good stuff then you can go in for the entrees on a fuller stomach.
Here are a few diet-friendly holiday appetizers...
What are some of your favorite holiday dishes to make or see at holiday parties?!